STUDENT DRESS MENU
Dress and Grooming (All Grade Levels)
The district’s dress code teaches grooming and hygiene, prevents disruption, minimizes safety
hazards, and maintains a positive learning climate. Students and parents may determine a
student’s personal dress and grooming standards, provided that they comply with the following:
Any clothing or grooming that, in the principal’s judgment, is distracting and interferes
with the educational process or is disruptive to the school can be prohibited.
Consequences for persistent violations of the student dress menu will be at the
● Students will not wear any item or tattoos that reflect suggestive, obscene, or risqué
writing or drawings, or reflect tobacco, alcohol or drug use or have profane, gang or
sexual connotation. Clothing and/or tattoos depicting violence, death, prejudicial or
controversial pictures or words, unexplained symbols, unsavory characters and/or
crude situations are prohibited. FN CF (LEGAL)
● No clothing or footwear that may cause damage to the building or school
equipment. Example: cleats and other metal objects on apparel or footwear.
Students may not go barefoot and appropriate athletic shoes must be worn in
● Hoodies will not be permitted to be worn on the head inside the school building.
● No wearing of hats, caps, bandannas or other headwear in the building except
on approved, special dress days. Items may be taken up and turned in to the
principal if necessary.
● Sunshades are not to be worn in the building unless prescribed by a doctor.
● No hairstyles that are extreme enough to create a disruption to the normal routine
shall be deemed appropriate.
● Hair will be neat, clean, well groomed, and will not obstruct vision or view of the face.
● No rakes, combs, brushes or picks may be worn or carried in view of others.
● No sagging. Pants are to be worn so the garment underneath cannot be seen
and the beltline is at the waist of the student.
● No pajamas or sleepwear.
● Proper supportive undergarments must be worn and should not be visible.
● Tank-tops, halter-tops, spaghetti-strap, or backless dresses must be worn with a
shirt, sweater, sweatshirt or jacket of some type covering the shoulders and back.
● Shirts and tops must be worn so as to show no cleavage and not expose the midriff
when arms are raised above the head.
● Skirts, dresses, and shorts are to be worn so the hemline is no more than 5 inches
above the kneecap in the front and the back.
● No holes in pants, shorts, skirts or dresses more than 5 inches above the knee unless
there is fabric/patch under the hole and no skin is showing.
● Tights, leggings or legwear of spandex-type material may be worn, however, a
shirt, jacket, sweater or dress must cover them so that the only part showing is
your legs. The entire hip area and midriff must be covered.
● No body piercings anywhere but the earlobes and nose. Only nostril piercings are
allowed with a stud 2mm or smaller. No bridge, septril, vertical tip or septum piercings
of the nose allowed.
● No spacers. No spikes. No gauges.
● No band-aides or other items may be used to cover a body-piercing.
● No chains on wallets. Dog collars and chokers are not permitted.
● No headphones, earbuds, bluetooth devices, etc. to be worn in the building during
class unless allowed by the teacher for instructional purposes or when in the hallways.
They are permitted to be worn and used during breakfast, lunch or campus-specific
times and places determined by the campus principal.
Any individual exceptions to the dress code due to health or safety require the approval of the
If the principal determines that a student’s grooming or clothing violates the school’s dress code,
the student will be given an opportunity to correct the problem at school and return to the
classroom. If the problem cannot be corrected at school, the principal will work with the student
and parent to obtain an acceptable change of clothing for the student in a way that minimizes
loss of instructional time.
Repeated or severe offenses may result in more serious disciplinary action in accordance with
the Student Code of Conduct.
Revised July 2021
https://5il.co/w59h - Document link